BOC: CotHM review/overview/discussion

Thu Jun 7 22:00:52 EDT 2001

On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Scruton, Jason wrote:

> >hearing what I've heard of the new one, I appreciate HF
> >a lot LESS than I did even just yesterday.
> >
> >I think the songwriting (music-wise) is FANTASTIC this
> >time out,

        This is all getting a bit much to take. You're aware over there
that it's not out in the UK until the 18th, are you? No, neither was I
until I tried to buy it. So I have to wait. Grr...

> The band has benefited from playing together as much as they have live. They
> sound like a functioning unit. and Bobby R's drumming is gathering some
> courage to syncopate.
>
> What strikes me as ironic though, about the whole album, is its named after
> a song written by two people who are (to varying degrees and in varying
> ways) estranged from the band today. Go figure.
>
> BUT its promising that more than two of the tracks are collaborative
> songwriting efforts. after all, Rondinelli is the first drummer since Albert
> B. to be in a writing credit, right?

        Does he make a difference to it? But yes, I think letting the
non-3 guys into the band like this is a step they should have taken ages
ago, So glad to see Danny especially getting a toehold. Yours,
                                                               Jon

P.S. Although Neal Smith gets a credit on `Shadow of California', no?

       Jon Jarrett (01223 514989)     jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk