BOC: CotHM review/overview/discussion

Ted Jackson tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Fri Jun 8 09:02:19 EDT 2001

On 8 Jun 2001, at 8:51, Paul Mather wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Jun 2001, Ted Jackson wrote:
>
> => '...Ah feel yer pain...' But you guys on the other side of the pond
> got => the new Monster Magnet a month or so before we did, and our =>
> version doesn't include the best song they did, 'Down in the
> Jungle...'
>
> I picked up _God Says No_ last week in the used bins.  Mine says on
> the back it includes a bonus track, "Silver Future."  Does this mean
> the USA version has that but the European one doesn't?

I'm pretty sure the euro version does include Silver Future...

>> As for the album itself, I enjoyed it well enough, but it seemed very
> slick and mellower compared to previous outings.  I got the impression
> Dave was trying to expand musically into the mainstream.  But, I'm a
> _Spine of God_ and _25.....Tab_ fanatic, so feel free to ignore all
> that.  However, I much prefer the direction Ed Mundell is taking in
> his solo project (even if it might be less original) to the current
> Monster Magnet.

I prefer Dopes to Infinity to Powertrip, but I like God Says No the
best of all.  I actually prefer the slicker sound.  Dopes does feature
some excellent Tony Iommi-inspired guitar work that borders on
plagiarism--not that that's a bad thing, mind you!