BOC: SFG & recycled riffs?

Fri Jun 8 13:55:03 EDT 2001

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001, bart wrote:

> I dunno about CotHM - maybe I'll pick it up sometime, but I'm sure glad I
> nabbed a copy of the Rhino SFG remaster disc. Great job by Rhino, but the real
> star is the playing on some of the tracks - it sounds so accomplished !

        I really like this CD. Some of it is absolutely beautiful, the
jamming mostly. Al's drumming and Buck's guitar make it very much a band
of two virtuosos; I don't really notice Alan. Winters wasn't bad either
was he? And the lyrics are mostly genius. John Shirley please take note.

        One thing that does strike me though is how much their songwriting
imporved with age. The only songs I find really memorable for their
structure or tune are `Gil Blanco County' and `What is Quicksand'. `St
Cecilia' and `Arthur Comics' on the other hand have almost no shape to
them. I don't think it's bad, quite the reverse, but they really did put
songs together better as BOC. I'm not sorry BOC came about however good
this disc is, basically :-)

> A question though. While I'm listening to the songs, a few parts sounded
> really familiar, like they were subsequently used on BOC songs.
> The main one that springs to mind is the killer lead break @ 2.00 into Curse
> of the Hidden Mirror - has Buck slotted that into one of his extended live
> solos or am I mistaken ?  The other part was the outro to Gil Blanco County
> maybe ?

        My copy's at home, but I heard the opening chords of `Baby Ice
Dog' about halfway through the first album's worth last time I played it,
somewhere... Yours,
                    Jon

       Jon Jarrett (01223 514989)     jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk