BOC: SFG & recycled riffs?

Scruton, Jason GG3757 at DFA.STATE.NY.US
Fri Jun 8 14:14:29 EDT 2001

>        I really like this CD. Some of it is absolutely beautiful, the
>jamming mostly. Al's drumming and Buck's guitar make it very
>much a band of two virtuosos; I don't really notice Alan. Winters wasn't
bad either
>was he? And the lyrics are mostly genius. John Shirley please take note.
The biggest difference between BOC lyrical direction and SFG/70s BOC is that
Shirley doesn't like to be enigmatic in his words--he's a story tellin'
kinda joe, which when you think (or at least when I did when I read this
email), fits in perfectly to the kind of songs that Buck likes writing. --
think Deadline,Reaper,Shooting Shark,etc... etc..

>        One thing that does strike me though is how much their
>songwriting imporved with age. The only songs I find really memorable for
their
>structure or tune are `Gil Blanco County' and `What is Quicksand'. `St
>Cecilia' and `Arthur Comics' on the other hand have almost no shape to
>them. I don't think it's bad, quite the reverse, but they
>really did put
>songs together better as BOC. I'm not sorry BOC came about however good
>this disc is, basically :-)
INdividually, thats true too -- case in point Bucks better buckpop since
Flat Out and Last Days of May, not to mention the prolific output of Albert
B. on his solo endeavours -- I'm going to see tBS gig tonight in NYC. Review
will be coming. ROCK OUT!

If you compare the studio Workshop of the Telescopes to what came out on the
"live bootleg" promo, they're competly different  -- very tight song
structure and a pre-figured, non jamming solo (but on the live one, Lanier's
kybds. do some fun contrapuntal moves)Then again, they channelled their
jamming into songs  like Bucks Boogie, I ain't got you (well, the end of
that one), the ends of D and S,Flaming Telepaths, the five man guitar
freakouts in live ME 262 and... dang! what was the other tunes they did that
to?,  7 screaming DBs, and any song where the end is faded out in the
studio.

mailing lists-look productive in writing to one with out all the hassles of
the Man!
Jason