HW: Biro removal

just me deltawave at METRONET.COM
Fri Jun 8 20:16:39 EDT 2001

Hi,
Has anyone ever come across an effective way of removing ball point pen
markings from record labels?
I'm hoping it will be easy with the correct liquid as the label is so thin
that the pen hardly makes a groove in the label itself.>Any 2nd record
restorers out there?
Jez

 aside from my usual art erasers, toothpicks, watercolor pens, pencils,
q-tips, hypodermic needles(careful scraping in minute dot-by-dot surgery,),
"goo-gone", paper tissues, towells, razor blades,  etc......

of all things, names or initials on labels don't drive me to the edge of
suicide like the LP covers do.....

I hate finger-grease on my black RCA labels though.....ANYWAY,,,,were it
me, I should think an intense and "terse" session of outright insanity with
a combination of a q-tip, with some of it's cotton removed for acutenesss,
combined with a tiny amount of a name brand label remover such as
"Goo-Gone" (but there are others) would make a good point to start. Then
small amounts of work with an art eraser(shaped like a pencil, that you
shave to a tip), tiny scrapes with razor blade MAYBE, and a few prayers to
your preferred higher power, may see it faded so much that it is
acceptable.......

the potential for "smear:" is what worries me......

no doubt the professional label remover is a good choice as this DOES
remove ink quite nicely (it has lemon juice in it I believe),,,,,you could
also rub it with a tissue with some of that on it in
increments.....(combined with your own creativity/inventiveness of other
applications,,,,,

sounds frightening but reducible certainly........possibly eradicatible...

****LONG EXHALE***

PS -for those of you who ever need stickers off, and have never used
label-remover,..,..you'll love it.......must have....much better than bic
lighters, or dry peels.....

P_SS--will a fairly large "MADE IN UK", or "MADE IN ENGLAND" sticker cover
the area????  I fing that UK records often have had stickers with the
country on the label/....Just a thought expulsion.....