BRAIN: Rocking Don Hill's 6/8/01

Joseph Sardo nyeconomist at YAHOO.COM
Sun Jun 10 16:40:41 EDT 2001

Hey Jason

Saw neither hide nor hair of you and Jeff after
surgery. For those who stayed for the rest of the
bands, Al, Dave and Deb filled the time mostly by
talking to fans. As usual, they were accessible,
informative and gracious.

The bands to play post-op tBS were considerably better
then what we heard before (I even bought a CD from a
band called "Daddy", very gothic, in the spirit of
Black Sabbath in their infancy). Not my kind of thing,
but it sounded real good that night.

I've seen tBS 5 times now.  Expecting the worst
because of their self-description on their web site,
Don Hill's was by far tBS best venue I have witnessed.
 The lounge itself is comfortably large -
(large enough to walk around in without having to
climb over a chair or table), acoustically good (darn
better then where I’ve heard them before – this might
be just the right minimum size place for our surgeons
to operate), and the patrons and employees civil
(extremely civil for a Fri in NYC and I was well
maintained by the waitress who made sure I got their
tBS flier, a nice 18*24 suitable for framing).

I believe the band has gotten better.  I’ve seen them
as a trio all but once and I remember telling Al after
a show last year they were getting better.  Now they
are certainly tighter and more powerful than ever.
(Albert said they have been practicing more and
recording their practices) Their vocal harmonies (Al
and Dave) have improved.  Ms. D’s musicianship has
improved.  I don’t know enough about it to be a bass
critic, but Dave is certainly doing fine with that
horrid green bass guitar, suitable for painting (just
kidding, Dave).  But Dave loves to play his 6 string.
He has fun up there no matter, but didn’t you see his
eyes sparkle a bit (no, much) more when he played lead
guitar?  He was quite smooth, more comfortable and
animated playing it this last time out.  He’s been
practicing.

All you people out there are really going to enjoy
this tour.

Yes, Jason, they certainly have fun up there.  And it
radiates.

And the good news is that there just could be a return
to them thar Hill’s. Of course nothing is certain, but
after the summer tour something might happen at Don
Hill’s again.

Behave responsibly and vote republican.
Regards,
Joe Sardo
Volts to Ungodly Pigeons!!!

PS:
Are you staying in Syracuse during summer recess?