OFF. Jefferson Starship - Dragonfly

Sun Jun 10 17:21:01 EDT 2001

On Fri, 8 Jun 2001, Doug Pearson wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Jun 2001 03:18:31 +0100, Jon Jarrett
> <jjarrett at CHIARK.GREENEND.ORG.UK> wrote:
> >On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Doug Pearson wrote:
> >
> >> Have you heard the 'Fillmore' live CD (from '68 IIRC) that was recently
> >> released?  Very similar to, and possibly better than, 'Pointed Head'.
> >> Essential for Airplane fans (like me) ...
> >
> > Is this the same as a thing I've got called _Through the Looking Glass_?
>
> No, it's 'Live at the Fillmore East', released in 1998 on RCA (well, really
> BMG).  Recorded 3 & 4 May 1968.  Similar to 'Pointed Head' (the jam similar
> to "Bear Melt" is entitled "Thing"), but with more songs from 'After
> Bathing At Baxter's' (my fave JA album) & 'Crown of Creation'.
>
> >If not, does anyone know what this is? It doesn't seem like a
> >boot, it has a label address (in Italy) and a full band bio, but nothing
> >actually specific to the actual release beyond a back-cover
> >tracklist. It's *great*, but I'd like to know it's in some sense
> >legit.
>
> An Italian address makes things a bit suspicious ... I would *hope* that
> I'd heard of it if it really was legit.  Does it have good sound?

        The sound is not at all bad; certainly it would be acceptable on a
legit live release if a bit muddy on a couple of numbers. Now I look at it
again, the label is not Italian, the distributor is (?); the label is
English, and called Almafame Ltd.. The catalogue no. is AlmaCD005, so it
can't be utterly fly-by-night. As far as I can tell from my limited
knowledge of Airplania it's all pre-Baxters, although several things don't
seem ever to have got an album release and I don't think it's all from the
same gig by a long way. Tracklist is:
High Flyin' Bird / Today / She Has Funny Cars /Don't Slip Away / Plastic
Fantastic Lover / 3/5 of a Mile in Ten Seconds / Ride / Get Together /
It's No Scret / Somebody To Love / Other Side of this Life / White Rabbit
/ My Best Friend.

        Most of it is very good; the performances are tip-top. `Other Side
of this Life' is Airplane blanga - it doesn't let up even slightly :-) Not
at all sure about `Today' or `My Best Friend' but there we go. Does that
all leave you any the wiser? Yours,
                                    Jon

ObCD: ST37 - _Invisible College_
       Jon Jarrett (01223 514989)     jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk