BOC: CotHM review/overview/discussion

Sun Jun 10 18:10:15 EDT 2001

On Fri, 8 Jun 2001, Paul Mather wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Jun 2001, Ted Jackson wrote:
>
> => '...Ah feel yer pain...' But you guys on the other side of the pond got
> => the new Monster Magnet a month or so before we did, and our
> => version doesn't include the best song they did, 'Down in the Jungle...'
>
> I picked up _God Says No_ last week in the used bins.  Mine says on the
> back it includes a bonus track, "Silver Future."  Does this mean the USA
> version has that but the European one doesn't?

        Still haven't got it myself: money been too tight. Someone burnt
me a copy to tide me over till I can. From this I say, no, `Silver Future'
is also on the European release also flagged as a bonus track... Does that
make `Down in the Jungle' the last track, which sounds like nothing so
much as a track written in the wake of them covering `Kick out the Jams'
and going, "But that's easy! Any fool could write this! Look, I'll do it
now!" I think the best thing on there is either the opener or `Cry'
myself.

> As for the album itself, I enjoyed it well enough, but it seemed very
> slick and mellower compared to previous outings.  I got the impression
> Dave was trying to expand musically into the mainstream.  But, I'm a
> _Spine of God_ and _25.....Tab_ fanatic, so feel free to ignore all
> that.  However, I much prefer the direction Ed Mundell is taking in his
> solo project (even if it might be less original) to the current Monster
> Magnet.

        I considered it and _Powertrip_ together and wrote this on
another forum, which since I'm not doing caffeine today I'm sure you will
forgive my shameless copy-and-pasting:

        "Monster Magnet. We've had _Powertrip_, we've had _God Says No_.
These are both a lot more commercially-aimed compared to the older stuff,
I think anyone would agree, but the former strikes me as much more of a
band effort. It's also more straighforward, but you get that. The latter
has more interesting stuff on it but a lot of it seems to have been put
together by Dave Wyndorf in his room with a computer and someone
programming drums for him. The whole band doesn't seem to have worked
together much." It struck me that for a man who's said, "I would be Dave
Brock, but it's already been done", he's heading down the same
road... Yours,
                Jon

ObCD: Pressurehed - _Sudden Vertigo_
       Jon Jarrett (01223 514989)     jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk