BRAIN: Rocking Don Hill's 6/8/01

Scruton, Jason GG3757 at DFA.STATE.NY.US
Mon Jun 11 12:19:03 EDT 2001

>Saw neither hide nor hair of you and Jeff after >surgery. For those who
stayed for the >rest of the >bands, Al, Dave and Deb filled the time mostly
by
>talking to fans. As usual, they were accessible, >informative and gracious.

I'm sure they were. They are the three friendliest rock people I know. I
wish I could have stayed to chat, but my usual "cutting a rug" (whose umm...
uniqueness Brian and Theo can  attest to) + the lack of O2 and other fun
medical things made it necessary to go and breathe for a bit, nto to mention
collapse into slumber soon after departing.  Got home around 4 nonetheless.
a good hour to come home to - the dawn was on the verge of breaking.

>The bands to play post-op tBS were considerably better
>then what we heard before (I even bought a CD from a
>band called "Daddy", very gothic, in the spirit of
>Black Sabbath in their infancy). Not my kind of thing,
>but it sounded real good that night.
Cool! That does sound like a fun band.

>I've seen tBS 5 times now.  Expecting the worst
>because of their self-description on their web site,

>Don Hill's was by far tBS best venue I have witnessed.
Including Don Hill's, it marks my 6th time out to see the band,in all 3
tiers of the great empire state no less!
The Haunt in Ithaca was a great locale too. Nice quirkful (?) atmosphere. --
the show they did the day after Christmas in 97(?) was a KILLER. Everyone
was on full throttle, get set list, and a jam packed floor with fans.
someone video taped that.
They're in their element with an appreciative audience.  The second show
there was good too -- heard Vera Gemini live and perennial list fave "Needle
Gun" was awesome (after all, Deb let me sing the chorus heheheh! man that
was cool!)

>to operate), and the patrons and employees civil (extremely civil for a Fri
in NYC and I >was well maintained by the waitress who made sure I got their
tBS flier, a nice 18*24 >suitable for framing).
Well, we were at a waitress svc. only table :)But yes, the service was
attentive and the decor was quite cool. the poster was similar to the Meow
Mix postcard -- but with Medusa's heade from Trepanation on a guitar playing
body. In colour!  (just like the dire "Batman: the movie" w/Adam West that I
caught on the TV yesterday. yikes!)

>(Albert said they have been practicing more and recording their practices)
Good idea!

>critic, but Dave is certainly doing fine with that
>horrid green bass guitar, suitable for painting (just kidding, Dave).
My favorite description of Mr. Hirschberg was said by Albert, "He's a
jamming fool!"

>guitar?  He was quite smooth, more comfortable and
>animated playing it this last time out.  He's been>practicing.
The songs he did play guitar on had a good swing to get into on guitar duty,
too. Lucky guy! besides, How could you NOT enjoy playing Sinful Love?

>And the good news is that there just could be a return
>to them thar Hill's. Of course nothing is certain, but
>after the summer tour something might happen at Don Hill's again.
'Twould be super if so.
and, last but not least Good meeting you, Joe!

Jason - Blasting the rafters in Albany since 1998.

NP: Archetype - Helen Wheels. If it hasn't been said here, Jack Rigg is a
consummate guitar player. His work on here, Imaginos, and David Roter Method
is tasteful, punchy and a perfet fit for whatever kind of song he's playing
on.  I can feel the thunder. I can hear the roar!