HW: irc channel

Tue Jun 12 22:14:06 EDT 2001

On Fri, 27 Apr 2001, M Holmes wrote:

> Could someone post an idiot's step by step, guide on how to do this for
> those of us who wouldn't know a chatroom from the inside of the Tardis?

        Maybe. Try this.

(1) Locate and install an IRC client. I'm using the one Rik recommended,
mIRC, which I think is free to download at <http://www.mirc.com> but
I may remember wrong. It runs under Windows and is 16-bit or
Win32s-capable, I don't know which. If it goes on my machine no-one else
should have a problem with it.

(2) configure the various user options, especially the nickname; mIRC
seems to have fairly sensible defaults but some things it obviously needs
to know.

(3) dial up, if you do, and connect to an IRC server; mIRC gives you a
lists, several of which selected a random server on a particular
network. I use "Random EU DALnet server" and that works for me.

(3) when it connects to the server, add the channel #hawkwind.org.uk to
the list you get given, and click join once it's listed.

(4) type as you would on a talker: conventions include using ; as a
prefix to emoting, so that typing "this is pants compared to
Usenet" (quotes mine) gets you, e.g. "fofp `this is pants compared to
Usenet" in the channel window, but ";thinks this is pants compared to
Usenet" gets you "fofp thinks this is pants compared to Usenet".

(5) this is what makes AOL and WebTV great remember; how hard can it be?

> Us old-timers use usenet doncha know.

        Not anywhere I do you don't... Yours,
                                              Jon
       Jon Jarrett (01223 514989)     jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk