BOC: CotHM

Ted Jackson tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Wed Jun 13 09:19:25 EDT 2001

On 13 Jun 2001, at 9:06, Nick English wrote:

> > ignorance that keeps me from 'getting' OotD and
> IJWtbB]
>
> I don't know. . . I think OOTD is very strong.  I mean,
> on one hand, it's just the average "your parents hate
> me" thing, but at the same time, there's such
> determination in that song, both in the parents'
> desperation to keep Eric away and his determination to
> be with the girl.  You kind of have to wonder what
> makes this guy so bad.  I guess with a little
> imagination you can turn it into something a little
> less banal.

Here's my problem with OotD:  I know there's a difference between a
song's narrative voice and the person actually singing, but come on,
EB's over 50 years old.  Any person he's dating...well, their parents
would probably be dead anyway, or so old they probably wouldn't
care much.  And anyone he would be seeing would have to be well
past 30, and probably wouldn't care too awful much what their
parents thought about anything!

theo