BOC: CotHM and other things

Ted Jackson tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Wed Jun 13 10:26:47 EDT 2001

On 13 Jun 2001, at 10:06, Scruton, Jason wrote:

What works for me about "You're not
> the one..." is it not so heavy handed in portraying the main
> character, while IJLTBB is laying it on way too THICK -"first names
> only and one night stands??"

Yes!  Shirley's use of straightforward narrative drives me nuts.  Who
would buy one of his novels if his song lyrics are so unimaginative?
Has this guy ever heard of metaphors?

> At least when the lyrics in the old days were full of supreme
> weirdness, they kept it obscure enough from writing the songs as if
> they feel its necessary to say "Hi! We're the Blue Oyster Cult and
> here's a song where we show how in tune we are with the dark forces!"

Yeah, but back then, they had the likes of SP and RM contributing
lyrics...

> or in IJLTBB's case, its "Hi! we're BOC and in keeping with such a
> cool and ominous band name, we keenly document the seedy underside of
> office workers who have libidinous urges!"

Cut!  Print!  Bolts, you've hit it on the head...

> Which is why "Harvest Moon" is cool because you never really know what
> the evil power is supposed to be.

Well, I speculate that it's WWII which destroyed America's
innocence, or possibly Vietnam, esp. given that America's
farmlands and rustbelt town withered after the 70s...

 Funnily enough, its why I like Let
> Go, because it takes a fun filled pot shot at B!O!C! "We got the B! we
> got the O! and the C!" in keeping with the pot shot-ness of "stairway
> to the stars."

Sure...Let Go was a spoof, no doubt...

 > {click)
> Talking about stuff in live shows, almost all of this new album would
> probably fit well into a live set. throw in "X Ray Eyes" , "Damaged"
> and "sib" + other tunes from the real back catalog (not ETI) and
> you'd have a kickin show. However, I think they do need to keep the
> Buck Dharma guitar solo feature songs down a bit (what????) -- bucks
> boogies

Buck's Boogie is in there to give the voices a rest, I bet.  I've got no
problem with BB.  Always great to witness a BD guitar freakout.
But apart from that, I agree that the guitar hero stuff could use a
rest, replaced by a few more 'out' tunes...

 theo