BOC: Lyrics--Good? Words -- bad? :)

Scruton, Jason GG3757 at DFA.STATE.NY.US
Thu Jun 14 08:32:34 EDT 2001

>Not convinced - "Sweep our cities"?
demon janitors -- now that's a song topic :)

>On the other side of the coin, I present for your enjoyment:
>"She'd process words to the dance music station."  In fact I find "I Just
>Like To Be Bad" frankly awful in all respects.
Yes.

>I'm actually rather disappointed with CotHM, overall.  Although some of
>these will be killer live, I'm sure!

The comparativist in me thinks of HF and CotHM like this -- they function in
the way that Eponymous and Trepanation worked in my ears. HF, like Eponymous
by tBS, was BOC's semi-present incarnation's attempt to feel out what  it
would be like to play in a studio together after being "on tour forever".
After all, the Miranda/Rondinelli lineup wasn't the one that blessed us all
with Cult Classic.  besides CC and the Steve Schenck produced tracks on HF
(like Still Burnin' -- which if they redid it with this lineup would likely
sound a lot better) had they ever really spend big productive time in the
studio?  Either way, its their attempt, on the tracks that did have Miranda
and Bobby R, to find a tentative way to communicate in such a different
environment than the live venue, where they can rely on playing tunes X,y,z
as common grounds. But new material?thats new to everyone.
So, with this new one (getting back to my point (I had a point)?), its shows
BOC as a stable unit for the first time since...'86? feeling at least More
comfortable in the studio than they had been in the previous outing. Yet,
they still don't' quite have the hang of going in and saying "hey guys,
let's rock out for a few hours and see what happens." Trepanation had that
same kinda feel -- like "man, we're getting to know each others grooves but
we're not quite ready to blow your amps."

This new set of BOC material is much more "written" sounding than old BOC,
maybe because of Eric's writing style. Curse is  a step in the right
direction though. so cheers to that.  for me, CotHM is a good, workmanlike
effort.

if god gave rock and roll to you, what kind of guitar and amp does He use?
Jason