OFF: Quarkspace et al.

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Thu Jun 14 12:39:15 EDT 2001

SL says...

>I have the cd, its great. The last time they played, about a month ago, they
>were at each others throat. I hope they aren't finished. I was planning on
>seeing them in a few weeks at the NE OHIO arts and musics festival.

See below...I guess the issue was not internal strife.

>Paul the space bass player used to be in the band SPACECORE. They opened up for
>HAWKWIND in 95 at Cleveland. They were fairly heavy space rock. STEPHE

Oh, Wow...SpaceCore!  Geez, I remember them, but I'm sure it was earlier
than the '95 tour.  That was the big show at the Agora!  I can't remember
who it was that opened that show (seems like there may have been no
opener?), but I'm pretty sure it wasn't the SpaceCore guys.  (I've been
wrong before though.)  It just seems like longer ago when I saw them, and in
a smaller club.  Let's see, '89 was at the Phantasy Theater w/ My Dad Is
Dead (plus annoying rap-like music over the PA for about 90 minutes before
HW finally came out).  '90 w/ Bridgett they played two consecutive shows at
the Empire.  I think Sosumi opened one of those shows (worst band ever!),
and perhaps SpaceCore the other?  And then in '91 (again at the Empire?) was
the trio HW, and I think one of those two bands opened that show also.  I'm
sure I saw SpaceCore twice (also Sosumi twice sadly), but can't be sure if
both times were with Hawkwind.  I remember they wore white jumpsuits or
something...I don't remember them being anywhere near as heavy as Nucleon
(more 'widdly'), and I'm surprised to hear that Paul Resnik hailed from that
band.

OK, folks, what was the strangest opening act you've seen for Hawkwind?  My
vote would have to go to either A. Sex Kittens, at the Thirsty Whale in
suburban Chicago (although there was only one Sex Kitten, the lead singer
(the rest being men), who was actually at the HW show the previous night at
the Cubby Bear, in full 'Sex Kitten' attire), or B. the Limelight Cage
Dancer, similarly attired.  (More interesting than Braindance anyway, as
Dave Kuznik (I think) and I spent most of the time trying to determine the
gender of the lead guitarist (Vora Vor is her name, I now know), which
wouldn't have been an issue if it weren't for the questionable genders of
many of the other local attendees to the club, not including Bill Stewart.)
Funny, it seemed to me that both my choices attracted extended attention
from one particular Elfin bass player.

>>WHAT HAPPENED TO NUCLEON? I love them. STEPHE
>
>I think they just had to cancel for some reason.  Not sure why.  Perhaps
>some sort of conflict or something.

Paul W. tells me...
Nucleon:  They had some gear recently stolen, thus the non-appearance.  They
are supposedly going to be playing with us (Quarkspace) at the Robin Hood
Inn in Kent on July 21st (Sat.).  SFLS doing the lights.

BTW, The first band (a trip-hop duo) was called Bug Light.

Paul says that despite less than stellar attendence, they enjoyed playing
the show and that the club owner liked them, and they hope to come back for
a show there with Harvey & Quimby.  Philly and NY folks should make their
plans to visit Allentown early!

Grakkl (FAA)