BOC: Lyrics--Good?

Brian Halligan blackblade at BHALLIGAN.COM
Thu Jun 14 09:09:27 EDT 2001

Andy Gilham wrote RE: Old Gods:
>> Not convinced - "Sweep our cities"?  And the opening - "Now is the
>> time/the stars are in align/...ment" is a bit clumsy, if you ask me.

Once I got past my initial cringe, I think the lyrics to Old Gods are pretty
funny. They're a cousin of "direction (starlight) creation (star bright)
foundation (we crossed the Einstein bridge tonight." ;-) BTW, has anyone
else read the book the lyrics to Heavy Metal came from? The title's in the
FAQ somewhere. I borrowed it from my college library a few years ago and it
was pretty interesting (more fiction than science). A lot of the lyrics come
from the chapter titles.

Re: Pocket:
>> I think it's a bit long for a pop song,

Maybe the single version is edited down? It's interesting how they end a pop
song with a pseudo live ending (drums, power chord). Maybe it's a natural
result of it being played out for a long time before it was recorded?

>> On the other side of the coin, I present for your enjoyment: "She'd
>> process words to the dance music station."  In fact I find "I Just
>> Like To Be Bad" frankly awful in all respects.

Theo replied:
> Music's okay, but the lyrics...ugh...

Agreed. Since reading the fan's comment on Like to Be Bad in the
interview/chat with Eric, I can kind of hear the Who influence in the
verses. I still don't like the song though.

> I do wish BD had let loose a bit more on his solos.

Make up your mind! You want them cut down live and built up in the studio?
;-)

> I still like it way better
> than HF...

I think that's one thing we can all come to a consensus on.

Brian

--
Vincent Price Talking Lawnmower
MP3 Radio