HW: irc channel

Moonglum moonglum at DREAMWORKER.CO.UK
Sat Jun 16 04:43:25 EDT 2001

My version of instructions for getting onto IRC.  Someone else has actually
used these and succeeded so I feel justified in posting them :-)

1.  Download the MIRC32 client from http://www.mirc.com
2.  Install the client
3.  Go online via your usual (dial-up) connection
4.  Start MIRC32 (from desktop icon, programs menu or command line)
5.  When the stupid author's info dialog box comes up, click the 'x' icon in
the top right hand corner to get rid of it
6.  In mIRC options dialog box, set IRC Servers to DALnet
7.  In 2nd drop-down field select DALnet: EU, UK, London, or whatever's
geographically closest to you (this is just a list of servers for the
previous selection)
8.  Complete the name fields.  Make sure you give yourself a decent nickname
& alternative otherwise you end up appearing as guest5463734 or something.
Some nicknames are already registered, try alternative spellings if the one
you want isn't available.
9.  From the menu select File;Connect
10.  In mIRC Channels dialog box type in #Hawkwind.org.uk  (it doesn't
appear in the list of channels)
11.  Click on the Join button
12.  A new window opens & you're there

Having said all this, mIRC is a crap client (look at the number of times you
have to click things and select things and type things before you can get
on) and Rik, the Mission Control webmaster, is putting together an IRC
client which will take you straight into #hawkwind.org.uk.  When that's
available it will be much better.

Minor facts about using (m)IRC:
Sometimes the #hawkwind.org.uk window opens and doesn't look right.  Wait
for a minute or 2 and it should refresh with the Chanserv header
information, which gives you the message "\'\'elcome to Mission Control"

Sometimes it's difficult to connect.  The mIRC client will keep retrying for
you, you will eventually get in.

Also, IRC just seems to crap out on you sometimes for no apparent reason.
All you can do is reconnect.

Every 20 or so uses, a message comes up about using an unregistered copy,
your browser is invoked and you are taken to www.mirc.com so you can
register and pay the author $20.  I wouldn't recommend to anyone that they
should register or pay, due to the poor user interface of mIRC.  You can
just close the browser and carry on with the mIRC client....;>)

Hope to see you there

Moonglum