OFF: Porcupine Tree at Shepherd's Bush Empire

Sun Jun 17 15:50:43 EDT 2001

On Sun, 10 Jun 2001, ANDREW GARIBALDI wrote:

> Flamin' well better be - I thought LS was too weak and insipid by half (Dave
> did most of the review in our catalogue in case anyone was figuring!!!) and
> that 'Stupid Dream' walks all over it (I did that one), Daft part is,
> Wilson, genius that he is, just won't accept the band for what it is and
> keeps striving for some unattainable 'chart' goal.
> If you want that, oh great god Wilson,  it's either get fashionable or do a
> cover version.

        I've noticed that every PT fan seems to like one but not the other
of the two pop albums; as I've said I prefer LS because it seems happier
being what it is than the rather overloaded and under-varied SD. But it's
just my opinion; I know people who disagree with me diametrically and a
few who agree with me. But everyone it seems will be glad to hear them get
back to electronischefreakoutmusik such as they are good at.

        On the other hand, Queens of the Stone Age might be held as an
example of the possibility of getting chart exposure without doing
over-much to compromise one's authentic rock credentials? Or is _Rated R_
a sell-out too in the critical opinion of those here reading? Yours,
                                                                     Jon

       Jon Jarrett (01223 514989)     jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk