HW: irc channel

Arin Komins akomins at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Mon Jun 18 17:03:08 EDT 2001

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Jon Jarrett wrote:

:Subject: Re: HW: irc channel
:
:On Fri, 27 Apr 2001, M Holmes wrote:
:
:> Could someone post an idiot's step by step, guide on how to do this for
:> those of us who wouldn't know a chatroom from the inside of the Tardis?
:
:        Maybe. Try this.
:
:(1) Locate and install an IRC client. I'm using the one Rik recommended,
:mIRC, which I think is free to download at <http://www.mirc.com> but
:I may remember wrong. It runs under Windows and is 16-bit or
:Win32s-capable, I don't know which. If it goes on my machine no-one else
:should have a problem with it.

Try ircle (www.ircle.com) for macintosh (if you have one of those.)
I like ircII (http://www.eterna.com.au/ircii/) for Unix.

(my .ircrc for ircII:

/server irc.dal.net
/nick ArinK
/msg nickserv at services.dal.net identify thepasswordhere
/join #hawkwind.org.uk

pretty easy)

The www.dal.net site has a bunch of clients listed:

http://www.dal.net/software/index.php3

(There are also assorted java based irc clients, but I don't know if any
of them are any good or not.)

:(3) dial up, if you do, and connect to an IRC server; mIRC gives you a
:lists, several of which selected a random server on a particular
:network. I use "Random EU DALnet server" and that works for me.

irc.dal.net is a round-robin server, so you might just be able to connect
to that.

:(3) when it connects to the server, add the channel #hawkwind.org.uk to
:the list you get given, and click join once it's listed.
:
:(4) type as you would on a talker: conventions include using ; as a
:prefix to emoting, so that typing "this is pants compared to
:Usenet" (quotes mine) gets you, e.g. "fofp `this is pants compared to
:Usenet" in the channel window, but ";thinks this is pants compared to
:Usenet" gets you "fofp thinks this is pants compared to Usenet".

In ircII, use /me to emote, and type normally to talk.

:> Us old-timers use usenet doncha know.

heh.

Arin
Arin Komins                                   akomins at uchicago.edu
Manager of Web Systems Architecture
University of Chicago/NSIT                      tel: (773)834-4087
1155 E. 60th St. #302B Chicago, IL 60637        fax: (773)702-0559