Woronzow News

Z E Itgeist stuart.hamilton at SCOTTISH.PARLIAMENT.UK
Tue Jun 19 04:49:52 EDT 2001

WORONZOW NEWS

Hi everyone, hope you're having a good summer. What's going on with the =
weather, then? End of the world, or just bloody horrible? Oh well, first =
things first; Ade, as you may know, has recently undergone six months of =
treatment for Hepatitis C. Very unpleasant. Injecting himself every =
other day, and more or less feeling like shit as a result. Nasty side =
effects too. However, it all seems to have been worthwhile, because it =
appears to have worked, and it looks like he's cured. This is, needles =
to say, great news, not just for the boy himself, but for his family and =
friends as well. So hooray!
Ade and I have just returned from an acoustic tour of the USA, which was =
absolutely fantastic. Great responses all round, so thanks to everyone =
who helped with or attended the shows, you did us proud. We met a lot of =
old mates, Stu Pope, Mary Lou Lord, Wayne and John of Brother JT, Aamir, =
The Green Pajamas to name but a few. We also played the last four gigs =
with our American drummer mate, Joe Propatier (now resident in New =
York). We'd do the first 45 minutes as an acoustic duo, then take a five =
minute break, and come back as a hopefully rocking electric three piece. =
It seemed to work a treat. Thanks should go to 'Mat Pond PA' for letting =
us use their equipment. So what's up at home? Well, we've got two new =
albums ready (more about those in a moment), and coming soon the long =
awaited Gadsby & Skol masterpiece, a superb new set from The Green =
Pajamas, and fabulous second outing from The Lucky Bishops. All 3 are =
essential, and we'll let you know all about them as soon as they're =
ready.
Fresh from the pressing plant, and sitting in our respective halls as I =
write, are the new CDs from Tony Hill and thebrotheregg. Tony's CD is =
his first ever solo effort. I'm sure you know that he was the guitarist =
with, among others, The Misunderstood and High Tide. It's full of great =
songs, all brand new, written specially for this project. His singing is =
wonderful, and his guitar playing is totally unique. We were also very =
ar playing was as good as ever.
He was a little less sure of his ability to write songs again, but =
before long he'd amassed a really wonderful selection of brand new =
archetypical material. Basically, it sounded like he was picking up =
where the second High Tide album ended. We then called up original High =
Tide bassist Pete Pavli, who came down from his nest in West Wales and =
played on three tracks. Ace violinist, Matt Kelly contributed some =
searing violin passages, while Andy Ward laid down rock solid drums. Ade =
supplied bass to the tracks Pete didn't play on, and I added occasional =
keyboards and guitar. The sessions went superbly well, Tony was in fine =
form both vocally and (instru)mentally. The result is 'Inexactness', his =
first ever solo album, and first appearance on record for well over a =
decade. I can honestly say that for all concerned it's a dream come =
true. We reckon it's a work of rare genius, and we're pretty sure you =
will too. Inexactness is simply Tony doing what Tony does best, singing =
great songs and playing killing guitar. Forget those spurious out-takes =
and rehearsal albums with added drum machine that were put together in =
the eighties. This is the logical successor to the High Tide legacy. The =
unique and unmistakable sound of Tony Hill flying high once again. And =
not before time!

Available on CD only.

Price; =A311 plus postage. UK; =A31, Europe; =A32, USA and elsewhere; =
=A33.
Write to; WORONZOW, 75 MELVILLE ROAD, WALTHAMSTOW, LONDON E17 6QT, UK.
Please note; Eurocheques are no longer acceptable in the UK.
If you prefer, you can order over the net via our credit card facility.
Go to; www.woronzow.co.uk e-mail;info at woronzow.co.uk

SPECIAL OFFER; Buy both CDs and postage is FREE anywhere.

thebrotheregg:=20
snowflake & fingerprint machine

What can you say about a new album from a relatively unknown band that =
doesn't sound like a load of hype? Only that if we didn't think it was a =
masterpiece, we wouldn't have put it out. Let's face it, Woronzow is a =
small company and every title we issue is to some degree a bit of a =
gamble. Therefore, we can only commit ourselves to projects that we =
genuinely adore. You've probably never heard of thebrotheregg. Well, =
they're from Portland, Oregon, and they've been in existence for several =
years. They supported The Frond the first time we played there back in =
1998, and were extremely friendly and helpful to us. Our van had broken =
down in Montana, and we'd had to leave much of our equipment (and our =
roadie) there, while it was being repaired. We arrived in Portland in a =
hired jeep. thebrotheregg lent us their equipment, and even ran the =
merchandise stall for us. As a result we stayed in touch. Earlier this =
year, a demo CD plopped through the Woronzow letter box. It was =
thebrotheregg's new album. They'd sent it around and had no response, =
and wondered what we thought. To be honest, we had no idea what to =
expect, as the line-up was completely different apart from their =
mainman, Adam Goldman. Within ten minutes of sticking it on the CD =
player, we knew we had to put it out on Woronzow. 'Snowflake & =
Fingerprint Machine' is a stone cold work of genius. One of the best =
thing we've heard for years. It's as simple as that. Adam's been working =
on this album for two whole years! And it shows. It's complex without =
being too anal, it's beautifully produced. The songs are strange, =
twisted ballads full of odd imagery and unexpected tangents, but always =
fantastically melodic. Great harmonies, and wonderful playing on an =
array of usual and unusual instruments. You've got your guitars, =
keyboards, bass (mostly upright string bass) and drums, but also brass =
sections, theremins, electronic effects, string sections, analogue =
synths and lot more. It's a magnificent piece of work which we truly =
believe dumps all over Mercury Rev, Flaming Lips, Sparklehorse and all =
that. Who's nominating albums for the Mercury Prize these days? They =
ought to give this a listen. Then again maybe not; we couldn't have a =
winner who hasn't been promoted at all, who hasn't been the poodle of =
the press, and who isn't on a wealthy label now, could we? As we've said =
already, this is something very special. But don't take our word for it, =
find out for yourself. We promise you won't be disappointed.

Available on CD only.

Price =A311 plus postage. UK; =A31. Europe; =A32, USA and elsewhere; =
=A33.
Write to; WORONZOW, 75 MELVILLE ROAD, WALTHAMSTOW, LONDON=20
E17 6QT, UK.
Please note; Eurocheques are no longer acceptable in the UK.
If you prefer you can order over the net via our credit card facility.
Go to;www.woronzow.co.uk e-mail;info at woronzow.co.uk=20

SPECIAL OFFER; Buy both CDs and postage is FREE anywhere.