Very OFF: weird shit

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Tue Jun 19 06:33:41 EDT 2001

Channel 5 here had one of those "SF and Aliens" nights where they show
cheesy SF films (Close Encounters) and even cheesier "documentaries"
about aliens, Roswell, and how the yanks faked the Moon landings.

Still, being a sucker for cheesy SF and liking a laugh at conspiracy
theories, I naturally watched some of this.

So imagine my surprise when video was shown of a "UFO" over Phoenix a
few years back and I realised that this is the same damn thing I saw on
the west coast of Scotland a couple of years ago and could never really
figure out what the hell it was (not of course that the documentary had
anything more to offer than that it might be extraterrestrial visitors).

I can already sense the guffaws rising in throats. I'd point out that
those who know me well realise that I'm a pretty extreme rationalist and
that I know enough about astronomy to both know what I'm looking at in
the sky, and just how difficult interstellar logistics would be.

I also know that I saw something that isn't part of the usual panoply of
things seen in the sky at night. IMHO it's some sort of military
hardware that they don't want folks to know about (the west coast of
Scotland isn't exactly densely populated). Admittedly flying it over
Phoenix for a few hundred people to watch seems at odds with this.

So on the plus side, I'm not the only person who's ever seen this thing.
On the minus side, a number of the other folks are fully fledged nuts.
It's kind of annoying when I had a perfectly workable skeptical gig
going and I'd just about persuaded myself that I saw a line of NOSS
satellites.

FoFP