OFF: Woronzow News, Tony Hill, High Tide

Stephan Forstner stemfors at PIPELINE.COM
Tue Jun 19 13:18:06 EDT 2001

Great news about the new Tony Hill album! But...

>... Forget those spurious out-takes and rehearsal albums with added
>drum machine that were put together in the eighties. This is the
>logical successor to the High Tide legacy...

The High Tide - Precious Cargo release (1970 rehearsals) is fantastic,
despite dodgy sound quality. I am certainly NOT going to forget about that.
Anyone who knows and admires the first two official releases should give
this one a try - its more melodic, less heavy, and Simon House's violin
playing is beautiful - in fact all the musicians are in great form. The
Interesting Times 80's reunion release DOES suffer from drum machines and
slick production, but still has some quite good material on it as well
(including versions of songs that appear on Precious Cargo). So, no amnesia
for these 2 titles at least...
There are also a bunch of '80s and '90s releases (Flood, Ancient Gates,
Reason of Success(?), etc.) that I haven't heard. Does anyone know what
these sound like?
Stephan