OTHER: Woronzow News, Tony Hill, High Tide

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Tue Jun 19 16:03:42 EDT 2001

On Tue, 19 Jun 2001 19:06:28 +0100, colm mcwilliams
<bedroom at TRANCER28.FSNET.CO.UK> wrote:
>I've seen some high tide stuff mainly in second hand record stores, can
>anyone add to the information already given and recommend some good albums
>by them to start off with.
>
>many thanks
>
>Colm McWilliams

Pretty much to reiterate what's already been said ...

The two "original" High Tide albums, 'Sea Shanties' (the first), and 'High
Tide' (the second), are fantastic!  As is the 'Interesting Times' album of
1970-era outtakes.  DEFINITELY start with one of those three.

Of the three, I'd say that 'Interesting Times' in the most melodic, 'High
Tide' is the most psychedelic (with 3 extended tracks), and 'Sea Shanties'
is the heaviest, but all are excellent.  I'd describe the band as a post-
Cream/Hendrix type heavy/acid rock trio, PLUS the addition of Simon House's
violin.  If you like both of those ingredients, you'll probably like High
Tide very much (if you don't, I probably wouldn't bother).  Tony Hill's
voice can take a bit to get used to (although it's not nearly as extreme as
Dave Thomas/Pere Ubu or Captain Beefheart, for instance), but it's probably
worth it.

And don't forget that High Tide bassist Pete Pavli is also connected to
Hawkwind by being Michael Moorcock's main man (on bass, cello and
keys/synths) in the Deep Fix.  And that prior to High Tide, Tony Hill was
in the most excellent Misunderstood.

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com