This is Hawkwind - Do Not Panic + Neu! Question

Stephan Forstner stemfors at PIPELINE.COM
Tue Jun 19 19:49:40 EDT 2001

>>...When I went to turn the record over to side 4 I realised I'd
>>been listening to it on the wrong speed. So I upped it to 45 and
>>listened again, but it wasn't as good!
>
>Also, try playing side 4 ("Watching the Grass Grow") at 33. Talk
>about doom metal... Sabbath eat yer hearts out.

The first time I did this it was by accident and it was the b-side of the
Motorhead single Eat the Rich (Cradle to the Grave / Just Cos You've Got the
Power...) It sounded quite good but the vocals come in fairly early and
clued me in - still I went on and listened to the whole thing, Power in
particular was doomy beyond belief and it has long instrumental stretches
(unusual for MH) so the effect was very convincing. I spent the next few
days playing all my singles at 33rpm to find more hidden goodies, but that
one still sticks in my mind as the best.

Also, as I'm sure everyone is aware, Neu!'s 2nd album (Neu! 2) has a second
half consisting of various speed versions of tracks played at normal speed
in the first half (plus a cassette-eating version too). I own the (illegal?)
CDs from a few years back and I was wondering if the legit re-issues differ
in any major way (besides hopefully giving the artists royalties).

Stephan