OFF: Magazine, Wayne Kramer

Jon Browne jon at COMICS.DEMON.CO.UK
Fri Jun 22 12:17:16 EDT 2001

In article <200106221245.IAA03766 at listserv.spc.edu>, Nick Medford
<nick at HERMIT0.DEMON.CO.UK> writes
>The first half-dozen or so tracks are superb. Astonishing, in fact. And
>"The Light Pours Out Of Me" has to be one of the best song titles ever.
>
>It goes downhill a bit thereafter, and it's interesting to note that the
>later tracks are the ones that sound a bit dated.
>
>It's also odd that it includes nothing at all from the album "Play" which
>several people have cited as their best. Perhaps I'll get that next. Any
>thoughts from those who responded earlier?

only that "the Light.." is from Real Life, their first, which is the
best IMO. I really would get that first. Magic LP. Then Secondhand
Daylight. You can take it or leave it after that, but the first two are
a triumph, especially considering the context i.e. what you were
"allowed" to do or not in 1979. Prog punk. An act not many pulled off.
Listening to it again the other day, it's funny but they remind me more
of Alex Harvey than anyone else these days, which was definitely not the
case until recently. Brilliant lyrics, eh? Has your comp got Great
Beautician In The Sky on it?

BTW Bauhaus covered "Light". Managed to make it sound histrionic and
OTT. heh.

I saw Magazine live once, they were unreal. They were supported by an
unsigned band from Glasgow called Simple Minds, who were actually pretty
good at the time, although they owed a little bit to X-Ray Spex early
on.

Sniff. Kids today etc.
--
Jon