OFF: Magazine, Wayne Kramer

Moonglum moonglum at DREAMWORKER.CO.UK
Mon Jun 25 08:34:21 EDT 2001

On Mon, 25 Jun 2001 05:52:21 -0400, Nick Medford <nick at HERMIT0.DEMON.CO.UK>
wrote:

<snip>

>>Prog punk. An act not many pulled off.

EXACTLY.  When Nick asked the original question ("wot's...uh..the deal?")
that was the answer we were all looking for!  Well done JJ

----------

>I'm still struggling to decide how
>I would explain the sound to anyone else... the Tubes comparison someone
>made earlier isn't a million miles away, but there's so much more bite and
>edge to Magazine's sound, and then there's..

I did me best!  Also mentioned pre-Ure Ultravox but Magazine out-power them
without any difficulty.  (Both bands have songs called Rhythm of Cruelty,
not the same I am sure.)

I would endorse the earlier comments about Real Life and Secondhand
Daylight (first 2 albums) being their best ones.  A favourite track
is "Give Me Everything", the best power chords anyone is ever likely to
hear!  It is only now obtainable on that 3-CD compilation I believe.  That
compilation & everything else they did is reviewed here:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=Bos620roac48p