A fan + some other things too

Moonglum moonglum at DREAMWORKER.CO.UK
Mon Jun 25 08:54:16 EDT 2001

>> ... However it is not the first time I
>>have heard that the 'wind had a strong influence on the early Punk
>>movement in the US and UK.
>
>Other examples:
>* Greg Ginn & Dez Cadena of Black...
>* John Lydon of the Sex Pistols...
>* Throbbing Gristle...

One I'd like to add: Pete Shelley of the Buzzcocks is said to have admitted
to Bob Calvert that Hawkwind was what inspired him to get a band together.
Can't remember where I read/heard this.

Oh, and Devo!  I think they covered MOTU.  1st album is v.HW influenced,
check out "Mongoloid".  Hawkwind apparently played 3 or 4 times in the
Cleveland/Akron area (Ohio) in 73-74, & this was the source of the
influence.

>>...I discovered Hawkind due to a fantastic prog
>>rock show in the mid to late '70s in the bay area called "stone trek" on
>>from 9 to midnight sunday nights on a San Jose radio station who will go
>>nameless due to it's present programming.. Just wondering due to our
>>relatively similar ages (I'm 40) if that is where Jello heard of them..
>
>Not likely, since he grew up in the Denver area.  However, he DID get his
>band's name from one in Cleveland ...

----

Friend of mine was a college DJ at UCSC (Santa Cruz, not that far from San
Jose) in mid/late 70's & apparently knew Jello there.

In 1985 (?) I went into a record shop in Santa Cruz and saw they had the
Hawklords grey vinyl 12" EP there.  The shop had tagged a note to it, which
said "Yes meets the Dead Boys".  Excellent description!

Moonglum