OFF: Magazine, Wayne Kramer, the Beans

Nick Medford nick at HERMIT0.DEMON.CO.UK
Mon Jun 25 10:03:48 EDT 2001

In message <36.17c1e31b.28689674 at aol.com>, DASLUD at AOL.COM
writes
>at no point was magazine 'theatrical' as the tubes were; c'mon now...

I had a feeling someone would pick this up as it's a pretty, umm, oblique
comparison... but there are vague musical similarities here and there

But yeah, from listening to Magazine it's impossible (and that's putting it
mildly) to imagine them having the kind of stage-show for which the Tubes
were celebrated.

>when i was a freshman in high school in tempe arizona [71-2], the
>coolest/'freakiest' local band was understood to be "the beans"; i've got
>about a song and a half on a crumbling cassette.
>this is where fee waybill came from, maybe other tubes tambien...
>
>the beans went frisco 'way, and combined w/a band called [i tink] arizona
>and went on to become the tubes....

White Punks On Broad Beans... or something... I feel this thread lurching
Beefheart-wards...

What happened to the Tubes anyway? They descended into AOR hell in
the 80s IIRC.. did they ever clamber out again?
--
Nick Medford