A fan + some other things too

Ductor, Dan [NEUUS] DDUCTOR at NEUUS.JNJ.COM
Mon Jun 25 11:59:01 EDT 2001

I spoke to Mark Mothersbaugh of DEVO a couple of years ago while waiting in
line to see
Cluster.  The subject of Hawkwind came up in our conversation and he did
admit to liking not
only Hawkwind, but also Motorhead!!   He told me about how, during DEVO's
first tour of England, how
they went to a Motorhead show and were totally blown away!   Who would of
thought??!

        -----Original Message-----
        From:   Moonglum [SMTP:moonglum at DREAMWORKER.CO.UK]
        Sent:   Monday, June 25, 2001 5:54 AM
        To:     BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU
        Subject:        Re: A fan + some other things too

        >> ... However it is not the first time I
        >>have heard that the 'wind had a strong influence on the early Punk
        >>movement in the US and UK.
        >
        >Other examples:
        >* Greg Ginn & Dez Cadena of Black...
        >* John Lydon of the Sex Pistols...
        >* Throbbing Gristle...

        One I'd like to add: Pete Shelley of the Buzzcocks is said to have
admitted
        to Bob Calvert that Hawkwind was what inspired him to get a band
together.
        Can't remember where I read/heard this.

        Oh, and Devo!  I think they covered MOTU.  1st album is v.HW
influenced,
        check out "Mongoloid".  Hawkwind apparently played 3 or 4 times in
the
        Cleveland/Akron area (Ohio) in 73-74, & this was the source of the
        influence.

        >>...I discovered Hawkind due to a fantastic prog
        >>rock show in the mid to late '70s in the bay area called "stone
trek" on
        >>from 9 to midnight sunday nights on a San Jose radio station who
will go
        >>nameless due to it's present programming.. Just wondering due to
our
        >>relatively similar ages (I'm 40) if that is where Jello heard of
them..

        >Not likely, since he grew up in the Denver area.  However, he DID
get his
        >band's name from one in Cleveland ...

        ----

        Friend of mine was a college DJ at UCSC (Santa Cruz, not that far
from San
        Jose) in mid/late 70's & apparently knew Jello there.

        In 1985 (?) I went into a record shop in Santa Cruz and saw they had
the
        Hawklords grey vinyl 12" EP there.  The shop had tagged a note to
it, which
        said "Yes meets the Dead Boys".  Excellent description!

        Moonglum