BOC: CotHM

Ted Jackson tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Tue Jun 26 08:04:47 EDT 2001

On 25 Jun 2001, at 18:09, Joseph Brooks wrote:

> When I reviewed HF here, on its release, someone on the list
> (accurately) criticized me for wanting "Secret Treaties II and having
> sour grapes when I didn't get it. I guess I can't really argue that
> anymore. What I've come to realize though is that after all these
> years, this incarnation of BOC just isn't capable of doing anything
> close to "Secret Treaties II".

Yeah, same way the Stones will never make another Beggar's
Banquet, ZZ Top will never remake Tres Hombres, on and on...
Name one band that's still making stuff that compares to their
classic albums?  Personally, I think Jeff Beck's new stuff stands
real tall, but he's changed directions several times, and I suspect
that a lot of old fans hate his 'techno' stuff and bemoan that it's not
'Truth...'

The sad fact of being a fan of classic rockers is that you have to
compromise a bit.  Most people simply run out of ideas over time,
and considering that BÖC lost so many crucial songwriting
contributors over the years, it's surprising they can put out albums
at all.  Remember, after 30 years in the business, most people don't
have the same fire for writing.  As their lives change and become
more mature and loaded with responsibilities, their approach to
songwriting changes.  Except Lemmy, but let's face it, if you own
one Motorhead album, you've got 'em all...

This is a sad realization for me.. I've
> been a fan since 1974 and BOC will always hold a soft spot in my black
> heart for no other reason than being the creators of the soundtrack of
> my life.. But I find the current incarnation of BOC to be bland,
> uninteresting and unintentionally funny (like a B-Movie).

Hmm...do you think their live shows are bad too?  I agree with a lot
of what you say, but I think you're expectations are unreasonably
high...

> You can't go back, I guess...
>
> JB

No, you can't.  But consider this:  how pathetic would it be if BÖC
intentionally tried to recreate Secret Treaties?  At least CotHM isn't
afraid to explore new stuff.  For that matter, BÖC in their heyday
never came close to Secret Treaties, even when AB, JB, RM and
SP were still aboard.  Times change, and you have to decide if
there's enough interesting music left for you to enjoy.  For me, there
is.  BD's playing is better than it's ever been, esp. live, there's no
comparison.  the only real objection I've got to CotHM is some of
the lyrics, not all of them.  True, there's a lot of power pop on it, but
I bet most of us liked Flat Out when it was released!

theo