BOC: Reissues

Ted Jackson tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Tue Jun 26 17:08:45 EDT 2001

On 26 Jun 2001, at 17:03, Brian Halligan wrote:

> I listen to RbN for Take Me Away and Shadow of California. Shooting
> Shark is OK, but I just can't get too excited about it. RbN also has
> Let Go and Eyes on Fire, two of my least favorite BOC tunes of all
> time.

No argument over EoF, which is horrible, but Let Go was a joke all
the way, hence acceptable...

Substitute Here Comes That Feeling and Stone of Love and the
> album would have been a lot higher on my list. I wonder what the bonus
> tracks will be on the reissue. Any ideas?
>
> I will say about Curse that I automatically hear it as an '80s album
> rather than one released in 2001. I can't help it. It all just sounds
> very '80s to my ears. For all the problems with Heaven Forbid, it
> sounded more contemporary.

Interesting observation.  I think CotHM is very slick and modern
sounding, maybe too polished a production.  HF simply had too few
good songs to keep me interested, and seemed a bit stale,
because it consisted mainly of old songs that weren't given enough
time or budget [in the studio] to gestate properly.  And, I think BD
has taken a huge leap as a producer over the span of the 2 discs...

theo