OFF: Summer Solstice Spacefest 2001 (brief belated review)

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Tue Jun 26 20:04:31 EDT 2001

Space Music was alive and well in San Francisco the previous friday (6/19),
with the Summer Solstice Spacefest held at the warehouse/gallery CELLspace,
as a benefit for the SF Bicycle Coalition (a great cause if there ever was
one!).

Unfortunately, I missed the first band, the Neurohumors (described as space
jazz ... the JAZZ orientation seems to be as much a common thread through
these bands as the space one), and arrived in the middle of Subarachnoid
Space's set.  I've seen the band probably a dozen times (they're ALWAYS on
the bill when good space/psych bands come through town), so I'm probably a
bit more jaded on them than folks who have only heard their albums are.
That being said, they turned out one of the best sets I've seen them do,
with a lot of variety from sparse melodic stuff to heavy-duty CRUNCH.  And
guitarist Mason Jones is up to TWO huge pedalboards now ... FX galore!

pictures can be seen at:
http://www.unpronounceable.com/digital/subarachnoidspace/thumbnails.html

Up next was Cookin' With Kurt - Kurt Stenzo and his collection of synths,
along with a jazzy (there we go again!) rhythm section.  I was quite
pleased with the groove the rhythm section had going, occasionally delving
into more of a krautrock than a jazz vibe.  Interesting and well-played
throughout.

The final band was Mushroom.  I'll withold commentary due to lack of
unbiased perspective.  Console yourself with the photos here (yes, that's
yrs truly in the lab coat):
http://www.unpronounceable.com/digital/mushroom/

Closing the show was Jai Young Kim, playing ambient/minimalist sampler,
synth & software synth.  The start of his set was almost too minimal
(although I suppose that's a good way to close the show at the end of the
night), but once he started adding a bit of dynamicism beyond constant
drones, his music sounded quite cool.

In addition to the music, there were multiple projections in the room,
randing from original abstract computer-generated psychedelic images to
clips from classic (or B-grade) sci-fi films, which certainly contributed
to the overall vibe.  Attendance probably could have been better, but there
was still a good crowd, who were obviously enjoying spacing out.

Wish y'all could've been there ... (the next like event might even be worth
the trip up for southern CA space music fans) ...

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com