Brief Donnington report

Nick Lee nick.lee2 at VIRGIN.NET
Tue Jun 26 12:57:25 EDT 2001

Hi to Keith, Neil, Marie and all the others I met, sorry to have missed you
Mike,

well, managed to get my weekend home from Germany sorted out at the last
minute, but with project sign uder way it was touch and go as to whether I'd
actually be on the plane or not, and I'm glad I made it.

> Assault and Battery
> The Golden Void
> The Money Tree
> Spiral Galaxy
> Deathtrap
> Sonic Attack (with Dumpy guesting on vocals)
> Rocky Paths
> Moonglum
> Hassan I Sabha/Space is Their Palestine
> Hurry On Sundown (encore)

The full set list (I think) was:

Assault & Battery
Golden Void
Money Tree
Death Trap
Moonglum
Rocky Paths
Needle Gun
Angels of Death
Sonic Attack
Flying Doctor
Hassan I Sabha/Space Is Their Palestine

Encore:

Spiral Galaxy (without Dave)
Motorway City
Hurry On Sundown

Huw was on top form that night, after a slightly shaky start to Moonglum
(caused by feedback problems his vocal mike being switched off).  Easily the
best I've seen him play in a long time.
Jerry was much more prominent in the mix too, giving a scorching solo in
Golden Void.
Needle Gun was good to hear again, Blackheath having been the only other
time I'd heard it played in the last 10 years or so.  Sonic Attck provided
the only weak point for me, as drifted into the musical eighties album
version rather than the threatening sonic assault it should be.
Top gig indeed, and good to hear a strong selection from the eighties,
although I did miss the likes of You'd Better Believe It and Space is Deep.
Still, there was a curfew.

Roll on Canterbury, I'll definitely not be making it to Norwich.

Nick