BRAIN/BOC: CotHM, some analysis and comment

Brian Halligan blackblade at BHALLIGAN.COM
Wed Jun 27 09:40:44 EDT 2001

Warrick Bell wrote:
> Do I just not /get/ The Brain Surgeons?  Am I missing something
> somewhere?

I don't think there's by any means a direct correlation between liking BOC
and liking the Surgeons. So I can see how you might not be into them. I
mean, what is it that you like about BOC? To me the Surgeons represent the
weird, fun side of the original band.

I also dig the Surgeons because they're funky, each album has featured
different sounds within them (and between each album), the singing and
playing have a rough edge (read: attitude), and the lyrics are quirky.

Also, they're not as polished or even as commercial as BOC are today, but
the Surgeons always throw in something unexpected into their songs. A
rhythm, a lyric, Beavis & Butthead.... I like being surprised--it's the one
common thread in almost all the music I enjoy.

> And if you want to pick apart silly, awkward lyrics,
> you've got to look at tBS as well as J. Shirley!

Examples? OK, Eponymous is a little out there, but I don't hear anything
close to being as clunky has I Just Like to Be Bad.

The reason I don't like most of Shirley's lyrics is because they're too
straightforward. I would say the Surgeons' lyrics (Deb's and those by Helen
Wheels, R. Meltzer, Patty Smith, etc.) are more well thought out and fit
better within the arrangements--even the silly ones. No...especially the
silly ones.

For example:

Your bounty distracts me
Ooh this kielbasa!
And you're lookin' so fine

Heh heh. Fun lines that fit really well within "Hansel & Gretel" from
Trepanation.

Brian

--
Vincent Price Talking Lawnmower