Tips on selling on Ebay?

Space Wreck spacewreck2001 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Jun 27 13:31:17 EDT 2001

Here are a few things off the top of my head...

Make sure you list the item in the appropriate category,
since a lot of people just search by category.

Spell everything correctly, since eBay searches won't find
an item by Hakwwind.

Use other key words in your item description that will
pull in other bidders.  For example, a listing for Dark
Sun might not get much attention, but if you just add
"sounds like Hawkwind meets Pink Floyd", the floodgates
will open.

Use an online pay service, like www.paypal.com, to enable
bidders to pay by credit card.  Clearly indicate all of the
payment methods that you will accept.

Provide prompt positive feedback for winners.  Never leave
negative feedback too quickly.  Don't leave neutral
feedback if the transaction was successful, but you had
a minor quibble.

Put a counter on the page.  I believe eBay provides this
as a free option now.  This is mostly for your use, so
that you can measure the popularity of the item.  I think
anything over 35 hits is pretty good.

Protect yourself.  Require the bidder to purchase insurance
for valuable items.  In the US, we have a delivery
confirmation service that allows you to track the package
on line at www.usps.gov, and it only costs 45 cents.  No
signature required on delivery.  Must be something similar
in the UK?

Be sure to indicate in the auction text where you are
willing to send the item.  Do you really want to send it
to Chile?

Don't pay the extra charge for a 10-day auction, it really doesn't drive
the bidding any higher, unless the item is
incredibly rare.

That's all I can think of!  Be sure to post a pointer to
your auction on BOC-L.

MWood

NP:  Hawkwind - Dunstable, 1983