Original Silver Machine recording

Douglas Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Fri Mar 2 15:17:24 EST 2001

On Fri, 2 Mar 2001 18:34:26 +0000, Tigger <Tigger at PUDDYTAT.FSNET.CO.UK>
wrote:
>Yes, and the solos are overdubs - it's puzzled me for years that it's
>supposed to have been recorded at the Roundhouse on the same day as
>Greasy Truckers but the Glastonbury version is obviously the one that
>provided most of the material (Except overdubs) for the single.
>Now I'm puzzled as to why it's on the Glastonbury album if it wasn't
>recorded there.

As I understand it, Hawkwind's performance at Glastonbury was deemed
unreleasable, partially because Dave Brock was "incapacitated" and unable
to play at the event (Tom Crimble of Skin Alley filled in for him).  Wheras
they (obviously) had a good quality tape of the Greasy Truckers' Roundhouse
gig that wasn't entirely used on the double-LP, so ...

Note that many of the performances on the 'Glastonbury Fayre' triple LP
were NOT recorded at Glastonbury.  In addition to Hawkwind, that's
definitely the case for the Grateful Dead track, and obviously the studio
recordings by Bolan / Bowie / Townshend.  OTOH, I'm quite certain that the
Pink Fairies & Broughton tracks were recorded at Glastonbury; I'm not as
sure about Gong, Mighty Baby, Skin Alley & Brinsley Schwarz ones.

    -Doug
     ceres at sirius.com