HW: pity they can't do this.......

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Sat Mar 10 15:26:19 EST 2001

On Sat, 10 Mar 2001, ANDREW GARIBALDI wrote:

=> Name any band - take a lead from this lot...............
=> Andy Garibaldi
=> -------------------------------------------------------
=>
=> Pearl Jam Break Their Own Record With Seven CDs Entering the Billboard Top
=> 200 Chart Simultaneously; First Time in History Any Artist has Had Seven
=> Debuts in the Same Week
=>
=> A Total of 72 Double Live CDs From the Europe and US Bootleg Series

It really is a pity they don't do this.  I've heard some of the Euro
releases.  They're great soundboards of entire gigs.  The Hamburg
Sporthall is my favourite: a tasty Better Man / Baba O'Riley / Yellow
Ledbetter finale!  These recordings really do take away any incentive to
buy a bootleg.  They are the complete gig, from the soundboard (and the
mix is really good in the ones I've heard), priced to move (<$12 that
I've seen locally, kind of 2-for-1 price), and supporting the band
(instead of a bootlegger).  Why pay $30-$50 for a dodgy aud??

And whilst Hawkwind are heeding that lead, might I also suggest they
drop in on Phil Lesh.  He can tell them about the series of soundboards
from his Autumn 2000 tour he released gratis to the masses, in
high-quality SHN format, for free download and trading.

At the very least, they could put up a note on Mission Control saying
they officially allow taping at gigs, and then we'd have good quality
shows circulating (using mics on stands instead of hidden in coats)
instead of the aforementioned dodgy auds...

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

        --- Frank Vincent Zappa