HW: pity they can't do this.......

Bob Lennon Hawkwinder at AOL.COM
Sat Mar 10 18:58:31 EST 2001

This subject came up on the John Cale list a few years ago, Cale being
notoriously super anti-taping. In the world of tapers, it's usually hardcore
fans that often buy all the official releases anyway (am I wrong), in the
world of bootleggers, they aren't interested in the band as much as making
money from them illegally.

The irony as mentioned below is that when bands with any kind of following
that would make bootlegging profitable, who don't let good quality shows
taped, the bootleggers end up releasing whatever is available, sometimes
crappy audience tapes. The band is then represented in stores etc by
substandard releases.

If taping was allowed, only good quality shows would make the rounds and with
the abundance of cdr's (I would think) less and less boots would be
purchased, more or less traded by fans.
who knows.
In the end it's the band's decision as they own the material being taped. But
once again mentioned below, no matter how hard they try, taping will happen
anyway.
bob

In a message dated 3/10/01 12:29:31 PM Pacific Standard Time,
paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU writes:

> At the very least, they could put up a note on Mission Control saying
>  they officially allow taping at gigs, and then we'd have good quality
>  shows circulating (using mics on stands instead of hidden in coats)
>  instead of the aforementioned dodgy auds...
>
>  Cheers,
>
>  Paul.

Hawkwind: Time & Space Website
http://members.aol.com/Hawkwinder/hawkwindrulesindex.html