BOC: Me 262, Prince of turbojets

Sun Mar 11 09:20:41 EST 2001

On Fri, 23 Feb 2001, Ted Jackson wrote:

> I believe you are correct.  I could swear I read an account of a pilot
> actually breaking the sound barrier in a P47--a propeller plane no
> less, during a power dive...

        You're not wrong, Theo, or at least, only partially. The highest
speed ever attained by a piston-engined plane is 504 mph attained by a
P-47 in a dive. That is transonic at least, but I don't think anyone ever
put a Jug through the sound barrier. Of course, what with turboprop
engines the propellor record in general is a lot higher. After all, the
Russian Bear can reach not far short of the speed of sound, though swept
wings or not I wouldn't like to be in one in a transonic dive :-/ Yours,

Jon
--
              Spooky peanut terror bringing pain and death!
     Jon Jarrett (01223 514989)      jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk