HW: Gig advertising

Sun Mar 11 18:33:23 EST 2001

it's a fact that short of a surprise gig by U2 in a venue small enough to hold a rally from the milk marketing board, most people know that most gigs these days tend not to sell out, so they delay ticket buying until the last day or the night of the gig, especially in places such as the ones the Hawks are visiting.
However, this always causes problems for promotors who can be prone to bouts of extreme nervousness when a week before the concert, ticket sales have 'died' or 'performed less well' and the gig gets pulled. If the band or their label are running the thing, then by and large it comes off - but recent cases where gigs got pullled by Magma in the north and Scotland, and Pete Namlook in London, are indicative of the not-so-fearless promotor - but hey, someone's got to do it.
As to the publicity, I would imagine there will be some somewhere - a band like the Hawks will surely take this into account when setting up the gigs.
I reckon everyone's leaving it late.
Andy Garibaldi
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: J D
  To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU
  Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2001 1:26 PM
  Subject: HW: Gig advertising

  Hi,
  Someone was surprised to be purchasing ticket no. 49 for the Aldershot gig in 3 weeks time.
  Agreed that this is concerning and have the following thoughts ....
  Just what publicity has there been for these gigs?
  Admittedly I go nowhere near the music rags to find out if the gigs have been mentioned in them, but it wouldn't surprise to find out that they haven't.
  Brian Tawn usually puts out a news letter mentioning impending gigs, but there's been nothing from him as yet.
  Basically if I was not a list member I also would have been totally oblivious to any Hawks gigs coming up.
  I sincerely hope that HW don't think that mentioning gigs to BOC-L or putting them on Mission Control is anywhere near sufficient in publicising gigs.
  We are, after all, just a tiny minority of those who would attend HW gigs and half of us live abroad anyway.
  It's great that HW are participating in using the new technology & media available but it only reaches a small proportion of interested parties.
  The x-thousand people who attended Brixton (and to a lesser extend Astoria) are not all automatic attendees of these other minor gigs (even if they are aware of them) as these were one-off (OK, two-off) gigs with a dip into the past.
  Hope I'm wrong on all accounts!
  I'll be at Nottingham, anyway, and no, I've not bought my ticket yet.
  Jez