Bedouin/Alan Davey stuff

Neil Ward Neil at FAWE.DEMON.CO.UK
Mon Mar 12 12:22:27 EST 2001

As I was sat eating my supper last night I was vaguely wondering if Alan was
going to change his Bedouin set around for the forthcoming gig dates, when,
as often happens, the phone rings and it is Alan. After getting over the
'coincidence', he said 'that happens so often I was thinking about doing a
song about how non-wierd that is now'.

Anyway, Alan has indeed been very busy lately. Since I saw him in the New
Year he has completed two albums, organised a small tour, rehearsed with
Hawkwind and been helping mix the Astoria gig with Dave.

He wanted to remix his latest Bedouin album during Jan/Feb, adding some
pieces with Simon House and generally getting it to sound better, which he
has now completed (I heard it before, and it sounded great then). This was
planned since before Christmas.

Alan then wanted Bedouin to play some gigs Feb/March, but did not want to
book anything which might clash with Hawkwind dates, so they got held off
until the Hawk dates were confirmed. This is why there was no chance of him
playing the Cambridge Rock Society gig in early March, which he was not
actually contacted about properly until mid/late January. He is still
willing to play this or any other venue, but only if they don't clash with
any proposed future Hawkwind dates, other projects, etc. He said he was
still waiting to hear back from the promoters confirming the Cambridge gig,
and very much resents being accused of 'he couldn't be arsed to sort out a
gig in Cambridge' by some. (There, I've put it in nice words rather than
quoting Alan directly :-) )

Someone asked about the possibility of Bedouin playing gigs in Scotland, but
unfortunately the fuel cost alone is £150, so unless a venue is prepared to
pay more you'll be unlikely to see them up there (Glen says it's too bloody
cold anyway!).

Over the last few weeks Alan has recorded some more solo stuff, enough to
make another album out of, and altered some of the Bedouin songs (again! For
those of you who don't go to more than one or two gigs, Alan often alters
parts of songs, sometimes on a daily basis. This is why you may have heard
many different versions Sputnik Stan, for example). He also has a new song
called 'Airspace' to add to his live set. Most of this has been done when
he's not at Dave's rehearsing for what sound like some great Hawkwind gigs!

Lots happening soon, hope to see some of you there,

Neil.

March
23rd Army and Navy,138, Parkway, Chelmsford. 01245 354155
24th Leas Cliff Hall, Folkstone. 01303 252113 (Eves only)

25th Fairfield Hall, Croydon. Supporting Hawkwind

April
1st Aldershot. Supporting Hawkwind
2nd Rock City, Nottingham. Supporting Hawkwind
3rd Irish Centre, Leeds. Supporting Hawkwind

7th Half Moon, 93,Richmond Road, Putney. 0181 7809383
14th The Mars Bar, 12 Pierpoint Street, Worcester 01905 613336
21st Axe and Cleaver,16, West Street, Boston.01205 367300
26th The Horn, Victoria Street, St. Albans 01727 844627
27th The Gander, 2 Holdenhurst Road, Bournemouth. 01202 290294

May
10th The Limelight, Crewe. 01270 255519
11th The Rigger, Marsh Parade, Newcastle-Under-Lyme. 01782 616602