pity they can't do this.......

Douglas Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Mon Mar 12 13:39:56 EST 2001

On Sat, 10 Mar 2001 18:58:31 EST, Bob Lennon <Hawkwinder at AOL.COM> wrote:
>This subject came up on the John Cale list a few years ago, Cale being
>notoriously super anti-taping.

John Cale (brilliant musician that he is) is notoriously a super ASSHOLE,
period, with a reputation of having complete contempt for his fans.  He's
definitely (along with Ray Davies) on my list of people-I-admire-that-I-
would-NEVER-want-to-meet-in-the-flesh.

>... (am I wrong), in the
>world of bootleggers, they aren't interested in the band as much as making
>money from them illegally.

Actually, according to Clinton Heylin's BRILLIANT book, 'Bootleg' (if you
have the remotest interest in the subject, you MUST seek this out and read
it!), many of the bootleggers in the "golden age" of the 70's would release
boots by megastar bands they weren't so much into (Fleetwood Mac, for
instance) in order to subsidize boots by obscure bands that they loved
(like Captain Beefheart).  (And let's face it - if someone is making
bootlegs of Hawkwind, they're obviously not in it for the money - if they
were, they'd be booting Pearl Jam.)

[extremely valid points snipped...]

>with
>the abundance of cdr's (I would think) less and less boots would be
>purchased, more or less traded by fans.
>who knows.

I agree with this 100%.  Someone should make t-shirts that read, "Home CD
recording is killing the bootleg industry".

    -Doug
     ceres at sirius.com