digest? & collectables

Douglas Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Mon Mar 12 17:10:39 EST 2001

On Mon, 12 Mar 2001 21:58:49 -0000, Andy Gilham <email at ANDYGILHAM.COM>
wrote:
>> Is there a web site with full Hawkwind discography, including
>> bootlegs and their value?
>
>http://www.adawson.clara.net/ is pretty exhaustive, but doesn't include any
>price guides; I'm not aware that any price guides exist...?

'Record Collector' magazine in the UK seems to have had a Hawkwind feature
every 5 years or so since about '85 (usually with input from Brian Tawn to
ensure some degree of accuracy to the extremely-convoluted discography),
with reasonably complete and accurate price guides.  I think the last one,
though, was published right around the time the Virgin/Charisma and Griffin
Charisma reissue CD's went out of print, so those wouldn't have been
considered "rare" at the time.

FWIW the 'PXR5' and 'Hawklords' CD's are far rarer than 'Quark' and ASAM,
since the former were only released in the UK, while the latter were also
reissued by Griffin in the States.

As for vinyl vs. CD, there's NO WAY that ANY Charisma-era vinyl is going
for US$100 (except, I suppose, for the Italian "Hassan" 7"); after all, the
vinyl LP's all stayed in-print for about 15 years, as opposed to the CD's,
which were only available for about 5.  I know for a fact that US vinyl
pressings of 'Hawklords/25 Years On' still run about US$5.

    -Doug
     ceres at sirius.com