HW: Ish...

Mark Lee mark at ESPARTO.UK.COM
Tue Mar 13 05:29:04 EST 2001

Mmmmm,

My understanding is that the trademarking odf a name does indeed apply
only to a registered representation of that name - the name can be
reproduced within certain legal bounds almost at will provided it
is in some way 'different' to the registered version.  And IIRC
it is possible to reproduce ANY work, 'registered' , 'copyrighted' or
otherwise for one's own personal use.

Anyway , to get a slightly more HW feel about this, a very good
friend of mine has been talking to Peter Pro>>>>k regarding
the production of items in pewter, leather etc.  He's got permission
for some stuff and is now looking for ideas for items that
people might like !!  Examples would be drinking vessels with
engravings of artwork etc (he does a nice line in drinking horns
by the way). So, any suggestions ?

Mark (Hasbeen)
(Still up for Cambridge BTW)

I'm not sure how this all works, but I think one can only trademark a
certain stylized portrayal of the word.  Cf the band Chicago.
Obviously, one can't trademark a name of a whole city, but the
group did trademark their rendition of the city name.  I'm sure Kiss
must have done something like this!