HW: Ish...

Ted Jackson tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Tue Mar 13 08:23:12 EST 2001

On 13 Mar 2001, at 9:07, Paul Mather wrote:

> Do you mean legally possible?  I believe that applies only to items
> you own.  Others would undoubtedly fall under the "fair use"
> provisions, at least that's what I recall from those "reminder" sheets
> stuck up next to the photocopiers in the library.  The gist of it,
> from what I remember, is that it is okay to copy parts of a book, say,
> but not the entire thing.
>
> Maybe Theo the librarian could chime in, here?

I'm not a librarian, but I work with a whole bunch of them!  Actually,
photocopying is technically illegal, but copyright holders generally
look the other way when academic work is involved.  Theoretically, if
you're going to use more than a hundred words [I think] you're
supposed to contact the copyright holder and get permission.  But
this is ignored wholesale, esp. in cases where a prof. has the only
copy of a book available, and photocopies big chunks of text for use
in class.   Also, it is okay to quote passages from a work if the
quotes are used in a review, etc.  In fact it often says so on the
verso...

theo

xxxxxxxxx

"Wherever you go, there you are."