Canterbury festival

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Wed Mar 14 11:56:30 EST 2001

Iain asked...

>No one has asked yet, is there camping available ? That would certainly
help >get me over from the west country if I knew I didn't have to drive
back that >night.

>Is there a campsite nearby ?
>
>Anyone ?

Weird that I'm contributing to this, but on the way from Dover to London for
the Hawkestra gig, I tent-camped within walking distance (~2 miles due east)
of the centre of Canterbury, along Bekesbourne Road.  Nice big place with
all sorts of amenities (washers and driers!), which was really nice
considering on the way in I walked through a steady downpour from the
Bekesbourne station.  Which was a major mistake by the way...better to go
one more stop to Canterbury East, even though the subsequent walking
distance is about the same.  'Cause there's virtually no margin/shoulder
along Bekesbourne road and several dark corners where I expected to be
nailed by any number of automobiles.  Esp. dangerous considering I kept
forgetting which lane they'd be travelling in.

The husband and wife who run the place were very nice to me...of course, I
was the only one there silly enough to be camping in a tent in a monsoon,
but they pointed me to a spot that would be relatively high and dry, and in
the morning I ran all the wet stuff through the drier, so I was good to go.

IIRC, I found the place via the 'Camping and Caravanning Club' (or
something) website, of which they're a part.  I gather caravan is the
English name for what we call in the US a camper or RV.  Coincidence that
Caravan, the band, is from Canterbury?

Grakkl (FAA)

P.S.  Stay away from the power lines overhead if you have fears of stray
radiation.  :)