HW: Top 10 Progreesive Rock

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Wed Mar 14 12:24:13 EST 2001

Jon amazingly says...

>> Yeah, but can you see the Top Ten Of Space Rock getting made? I couldn't
>> name 10 space rock bands that Joe Public would've heard of.  At least this
>> way we're getting a few minutes of HW documentary on the telly for the first
>> time.
>
>        Yes, but who would it be? I'd have to include Farflung, DarXtar
>and the Ozrics along with Hawkwind, also ST37 because I'm just that way,
>but who else really? Are there ten really good space-rock groups? Have
>there been? I think a full ten would have to include some real lame
>ones. Yours,

Oh, come now.  You can't seriously believe that!  Of course, it depends on
whether you limit it to 'space-themed spacerock groups' or include
'musically-speaking spacerock groups' as well.

Since the BBC show did only classic prog rock (i.e., 70s-based), I'd say the
equivalent space rock show should be...

Hawkwind
Amon Duul II
Gong
Nektar
Eloy
Guru Guru
Can
Here 'n' Now
Chrome
Ash Ra Tempel/Cosmic Jokers
(question whether Pink Floyd should be included...perhaps so)

Although the 80s/90s could easily be...
darXtar
The Spacious Mind
Korai Orom
Ozric Tentacles
Porcupine Tree
Sky Cries Mary
Farflung/Pressurehed
Alien Planetscapes
Circle
7% Solution or Melting Euphoria or ST37 or Quimby or Dead Flowers or...

and that's without even really trying.  Of course, of this list, only the
Ozrics and PTree are that well known.  But who are the 'real lame' ones out
of this list!

Grakkl (FAA)