Canterbury festival

Tigger Tigger at PUDDYTAT.FSNET.CO.UK
Wed Mar 14 14:46:32 EST 2001

In article <3AAF6E6C.6571.109F22B at localhost>, Ted Jackson
<tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU> writes
>On 14 Mar 2001, at 11:56, K Henderson wrote:
>
>> Iain asked...
>>
>> >No one has asked yet, is there camping available ? That would
>> >certainly
>> help >get me over from the west country if I knew I didn't have to
>> drive back that >night. > >Is there a campsite nearby ? > >Anyone ?
>>
>> Weird that I'm contributing to this, but on the way from Dover to
>> London for the Hawkestra gig, I tent-camped within walking distance
>> (~2 miles due east) of the centre of Canterbury, along Bekesbourne
>> Road.
>
>I hate to introduce such a bummer, but is there a chance that the
>current calamity over foot-and-mouth disease will cast a pall on
>outdoor concerts this summer, and possibly lead to their
>cancellation?  Does anyone know how this restricts movement from
>one country to another, esp. in the EU?  I'm planning to be in Eur. in
>a couple months, and wonder if I should cancel my tickets?

We've just cancelled a trip to Ireland on advice from relatives over
there, where there are some restrictions (religious services, sporting
events cancelled, nightclubs closed) but I think that only affects rural
areas where a lot of the economy is based around farming. The Irish
government is also advising people not to travel from the UK unless they
have to.
In the UK there are currently no restrictions on travel, although
several sporting fixtures have been cancelled - though a lot of that may
be because the Irish team pulled out of the Rugby. AFAIK there's only
been one reported case in another EU country (France), so I'd be
surprised if there's any restrictions on travel in the EU yet. If
there's currently no restrictions on where you want to go, and there's
still a couple of months until you go, I'd wait and see if it gets any
worse/better before cancelling.
--
David Blair