OFF: Moorcock on sci-fi

Nick Medford nick at HERMIT0.DEMON.CO.UK
Wed Mar 14 20:06:10 EST 2001

In message <200103142135.QAA25795 at listserv.spc.edu>, Douglas Pearson
<ceres at SIRIUS.COM> writes
>Since my favorite SF authors tend to be the likes of Ballard, Spinrad, PK
>Dick, etc. I tend to mostly agree with the sentiments expressed here by
>MM.  Others may be disturbed to see some of their favorite authors slagged,
>but either way, you gotta respect him for expressing his views ...

>full essay at:
>
>http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Lobby/3998/Moorcock.html

Alternatively it's in the book 'Wizardry And Wild Romance', which is
basically Moorcock's personal survey of fantasy fiction, and is an informative,
provocative read. Having said that, despite always having been a sci-fi fan,
I've never enjoyed any sword-and-sorcery stuff (apart from Lord Of The
Rings when I was about 13). I like the Cornelius books for example but-
dons flameproof suit- I've never had the urge to read Elric.

Agree with Doug's list of top authors above though. Surprised more
Hawkfans don't rave about P.K. Dick- surely the ultimate sci-fi-delic author.
--
Nick Medford