OFF: good places to live?

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Sat Mar 17 07:37:11 EST 2001

At 18.00 +0000 16.3.2001, Jon Jarrett wrote:
>On Fri, 2 Mar 2001, Arin Komins wrote:
>>  UK folks,  anyone happen to know if it is possible for a nonEuro member
>>  to get a job over there?  All the *.gov.uk sites I looked at
>>  made it seem highly unlikely......
>
>it's certainly possible, because list-member Carl Anderson
>is doing it in Cambridge (which is nice enough, but has no useful music
>scene and only limited music shops though books and scenery we have in
>spades); but he made the careful step of getting the job before he moved
>so that they (eventually) sorted out his work permit. If you trust to the
>efficiency of the Home Office alone... well, just don't, really.

The only thing that's as difficult as being an American trying to get
permission to work in Europe is being a European trying to get
permission to work in the US ;)  You've an easier time getting
established in Britain as a Balkan refugee sneaking in to claim
political asylum than as an educated, skilled, productive citizen of
a non-EU first world nation. Likewise, getting established in the US
is best accomplished by swimming the Rio Grande, taking a raft from
Cuba, or whatever. At least you'll get sympathetic media coverage.

IMO, the people responsible for this stuff should be taken out and
shot (if they're already dead, they should be dug up and shot).

That said, obviously it can be done, or I wouldn't be here.  One
technique is to get into a multinational outfit and finagle your way
towards an overseas posting. Another is to know people in an overseas
company/institution and have them pulling for you with their bosses.

Cambridge is indeed bereft of a music scene or any good record shops,
but it could be worse.  I expect I'll be here a while -- at least to
ride out the current/coming economic mess.  Though in the longer
term, I might move elsewhere in Britain or Europe, and I might even
Scandinavia need a native-English-speaking technical writer? :)
Scotland might be nice, too.

Cheers,
Carl

--