HW:Space rock...What it is ?

Michael S. Habiby mhabiby1 at NYCAP.RR.COM
Mon Mar 19 15:33:59 EST 2001

Al Ogilvy wrote:

> Its intersting that a lot of list people listen to Ozrics and gong
> also...(Not just from the few recent posts but from previous
> discussions)....Alot of us appear to be into the ( very loosely defined )
> Genre of  "Space Rock" and not just HW freaks.
>  Which beggars the question...How do you define space rock ? is it anything
> with a sci fi element to it ? ..If so then that opens the door to a lot of
> crud....(just think of  it...Intergalactic Touring band comes to mind..and
> while they shared the prog top ten with us , The Moodys are responsible for
> one or two awful Sci fi touches to there worst moments (dont get me wrong...I
> like some Moodys stuff)..Or UFO at there worst (flame on if you must
> !.....Just let me point out I like some of UFOs stuff too...I just think some
> of there earlier sci fi touches are cringe making).
>  The Top 10 Space rock lists have shown some individuals Ideas of space rock,
> but too me, theyve highlighted the fact that theres a lot of room for
> individual interpretation in the label.
>  Me I find it hard to label most things i like...And how important is it too
> label it anyway ?...I just thought it would be fun to see what individuals
> interpretations of the label are.
>  Is the definition the sound  ? what makes that sound ? is it the bleebs,
> swooshes ( oh,good word !!), and other assorted synthi effects, or is it the
> rythmns (Or isnt that " Blanga").
>  Anyway, HW s style and sound changes so frequently , when are they space
> rock ?
>  Anyone want to play ?

Even the GEPR calls Space Rock sub-genre:

"Like space fusion but without the jazz edge, more of a straight forward
type of space rock. Hawkwind were almost the be all and end all of this
genre and were the innovators. "

Mike

--
"The Future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is." -- C. S. Lewis